Saturday, November 17, 2007

Record Shopping II & III

Stumbled off the beach into a shopping center
In search of shaving cream
Suddenly I’m surrounded by a suburban kid’s most familiar dream
The mall
could’ve been in any city in the world
A bright-lit monolithic temple to capitalism
all angled glass and profit prisms
Brazil done by Disney under fluorescent lights
Escalators and food courts and dizzying heights
Levi’s Depots & Department Stores
Name Brands Are Such High Property Whores
But like a good consumer I stuck around and spent money
Looking for that sweetest honey
The music
the key that opens all doors

Bought:
Body Rapture – Brazilian Electro Compilation
Fatboy Slim – Fala ai! - Brazil Tour Commemoration Mix
Gilberto Gil – Perfil
Man Ray – Compilation
Emiliano 5 – Compilation
Urban Fusion – Tok & Stok -Compilation
Top DJs Brazil - Compilation
Club Trax – Brazil Clubfloor - Compilation
Bahia Mania de Pagode - Compilation
Nina Simone Remixed - Compilation

The number of compilations indicates I’m clearly flying blind and have no clue what to buy. Too many choices, Axe, Pagode, Tropicalia, MPB… when in doubt it doesn’t hurt to stick to what you know: and I know about buying random electronica compilations put together by DJs with axes to grind and sounds to spread…

I’m getting disoriented out here, the sun set in a place on the horizon where I thought I saw it rise the other day… Things are getting softer and slower under the sun, the hours run together and I find myself feeling done before the day is over, needing naps, this lifestyle is a trap…I don’t live here, and winter in Chicago looms on the horizon with its cold teeth and slow unfolding hibernations… I’m worried I’m getting comfortable… too comfortable...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah man, tell me about it, dry winter-scratched skin, chapped lips, flaky nose tips and swollen nostrils, a dry scalp and pale sunless skin. i know that the sun, the sea, and the sand would heal me in under an hour. have you played futebol on the beach yet? have you allowed your feet to caress that endless sphere of magic tricks? Se voce ainda esta no brasil domingo, nao deixe de assistir o jogo de futebol, rapaz, contra o Peru. Deve ser as 3horas da tarde, mas nao tenho certeza. Tem que ver ese jogo, no barzinho, com o povo!

value, irmao, tudo de bom para voce.

DhakFu said...

haven't played any futebol, i'm a bit intimidated, don't wanna look like the clumsy gringo...but i did play some capoeira with some little brats on the beach, and with a shady guy late at night who was either gonna rob me or let me buy him an acaraje... he made me pay him 4 reals for "protection." money well spent, and his ginga was pretty slick... that was a funny and surreal encounter...